DUCK LEG CONFIT
½ teaspoon dry juniper berries
¼ teaspoon coriander seeds
½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
¼ teaspoon cardamom seeds
3 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
3 teaspoons fresh garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1 ½ teaspoons brandy
1 ½ teaspoons honey
1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded, and minced
6 duck legs
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
1 pound rendered duck fat
1. Combine juniper, coriander, cloves, pepper, and cardamom in spice mill. Grind finely.
2. Combine ginger, garlic, thyme, rosemary, brandy, honey, and jalapeño in large nonreactive bowl. Stir in the spice mix.
3. Place duck legs, skin-side down, in a roasting pan. Spread marinade over legs. Sprinkle with salt and cover. Refrigerate over 12 hours.
4. Heat oven to 275 degrees F. Melt duck fat in a deep pan or skillet which will hold the duck legs. Submerge legs, skin-side down. Place in oven and roast for 3 hours or until the meat is very tender and falling off the bone.
5. Remove from oven. Cool in the fat as is. Cover and refrigerate. Meat keeps indefinitely. To use, remove from fat. Heat in oven or on top of stove. Shred to use in salads. Use whole as an entrée.